Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Natural Hair Conversation!!


There are many questions floating around different blog sites about the pros and cons of going natural when it comes to hair. There are so many women who have made the big decision to go natural. I being one of those women, have been natural for the past 4 years. So I have decided to give you lovelies and inside view of my journey.
Let me start off by saying this is not an easy task at all. What may work for others may not work for you.
What was my reason for going natural? I used to have really damaged hair from all the chemicals and relaxers I used from the time I hit middle school up to the time I went to college.

Unfortunately, even after taking notice of my huge problem, I continued using relaxers and other harsh chemicals in my hair. It was around my 23rd birthday that I decided to do something about this problem and went to a professional and had them cut and style my hair. Still my hair was chemically processed. I decided to let my hair or my new growth come in to a certain length and did what many naturalistas call "the big chop." By that time I had a cute little fro which I began taking care of. Instead "frying" my hair with a flat iron, I decided to go the route of getting full sew-ins and micro braids. Although the micros protected my hair to an extent, it began adding stress to my edges causing fallout. Once again, I chopped off my hair and started from scratch.
No longer do I use relaxers or any harsh products in my hair. To me it felt like a new beginning. But as I stated before, what works for some may not work for others.


How I Protected My Natural Hair!!!!
1.) Keeping it moisturized
2.) Always trimming split ends
3.) Protective hairstyles including: weaves, braids, twists etc
4.) No chemically enhanced products
5.) Eating healthier (it does have a factor in hair growth)


My advice to the ladies who are thinking of going natural. Do it because you want to, not because you see it as a new fad. If you aren't sure this is the thing for you, don't jump on the bandwagon. I am not saying all women who use perms or relaxers have damaged hair. That isn't the case at all. I have met women who have relaxers and have some of the healthiest hair.
Remember it is all about the way you take care of your hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment